Wednesday 9 December 2015

Using sleeping tablets (Zoplicone) to help with PTSD

I was first prescribed Zoplicone over a year ago following a visit  to my doctor complaining of insomnia. 

For as long as I can remember I have had problems falling asleep and I had visited my doctor on and off for years  to see if they could help. It is was only after my Complex PTSD diagnosis that I was able to piece it altogether and realize that the reason why I couldn't rest properly was due to my PTSD symptoms. 

These range from intrusive thoughts, emotional flashbacks, anxiety and worry. This also explained why I had experienced this problem since my childhood traumas.

So what is Zopiclone ?

Zopiclone (brand names Zimovane and Imovane) is a nonbenzodiazepinehypnotic agent used in the treatment of insomnia. Zopiclone is sedating.  It works by causing a depression or tranquilization of the central nervous system.

How often should it be taken ?

It should only be taken for short periods i.e 2 or 3 days just to restore a normal sleeping pattern. It can be very addictive.

Side effects

Some common side effects listed for Zopiclone include :

  • Taste alteration  or dysgeusia (bitter, metallic taste)
  • Palpitations
  • Memory issues
  • Motor skill impairment
  • Balance issues
  • Double vision
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Mood changes
My experience of Zopiclone

Having had many unsuccessful medical treatments over the years for various issues I was really happy when Zopiclone came along. I had tried other remedies such as Kalms and Nytol but they had no affect whatsoever, however, Zoplicone definitely gets the job done.

Whenever I take it I do get the metallic taste in my mouth but it is short lived because after 10 minutes you are asleep. Some days/nights I have been awake for over 24 hours so it was fantastic that I could just take a tablet and be fast asleep shortly after.

Another part of my PTSD sleep problem is that I suffer from regular nightmares. The added bonus of this treatment is that they don't occur when you take a Zoplicone. Whether I still have the nightmares and don't remember them or I don't have the nightmares I cannot say but the net result is that I don't consciously recall or feel like I have had one.

I knew from my first consultation with the doctor who prescribed Zoplicone that they were addictive so I have always used them sparingly. However, in bad periods I have used them for 7 days in a row. I believe the reason they (like other things such as drugs and alcohol ) are so addictive is because you quickly realize they can give you a break from the emotional pain you are suffering. Therefore, it becomes very attractive especially in tough periods.

At the time of writing I ran out of tablets 3 weeks ago and haven't returned to get a new prescription. That isn't to say I wont in the future but for now I would like to deal with my sleep issues directly by targeting the cause i.e. Complex PTSD and bring about a permanent solution.

In summary, Zopiclone is an amazing drug that should be used to 'right the ship' of your sleep pattern but you should treat it with caution as it's effectiveness may become too attractive and with prolonged use could lead to a dependency.

If you have used sleep medication, please leave a comment and let us know your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment