Sunday 4 September 2016

Weaning off (Zopiclone) sleeping tablets after overuse or addiction

I was prescribed Zopiclone (sleeping tablets) after experiencing a large amount of stress and discomfort at work which I would later find out was complex PTSD  reactions and physical pain which unfortunately would turn into chronic long-term pain .

Having had undiagnosed complex PTSD from childhood I had always had problems sleeping and had managed by just being able to function on a limited amount of sleep per night.  My doctor prescribed Zopiclone to me three years ago and up until the last six months I had been taking it only in bad periods to try and regulate my normal sleep pattern. However,  since starting counselling within the last six months I had been relying on sleeping tablets more and more to allow me to get some rest.  As more and more distressing things were uncovered within my counselling  the Zopiclone  became a much needed tool to allow me to switch off for the night and relieve me from the emotional pain I was experiencing.

I had been told by my doctor on every visit that Zopiclone could be addictive but they allowed me to renew my prescription so I wasn't concerned. Also I had always considered myself a strong willed and vigilant  person that would be able to notice if I developed a reliance on a drug.  In addition to this my partner could see the distress that I was going through on a daily basis and was also encouraging me to take the tablets so that I would get some rest.  From initially taking Zopiclone a few nights at a time I went to taking it every night without even worrying about it,  as I didn't 'feel' addicted.  I was also able to justify taking the drug as I always had something very important to do the following day that I needed to be ready for both mentally and physically.

Overuse or addiction

It was only in a conversation with my mother that I realised that I may need to look at my use of the tablets a bit closer. She noted in our conversations that I had been taking it a lot and  that I had a rough week ahead and asked if I would be continuing to take them each night. Having taken them for the last 20 days and planning to take them for at least the next seven nights I realised that there could be a problem.  That night I decided to test whether I was addicted to sleeping tablets or not by not taking one and seeing how I coped .

Disturbingly I started getting really anxious before I went to bed and whilst I was lying in bed all I could think about was taking the tablet. I still don't know if this was a genuine craving or the fact I was just aware of the test that I was doing. Despite going to bed at 10 PM I was still awake at 3 AM. Out of what felt like sheer boredom I reached for the Zopiclone and took one. This was two nights ago and last night I did not take one.

If  you would like to read how I coped for 8 days without taking Zopiclone please read here.

Symptoms  or signs of Zopiclone (sleeping tablet)  addiction

Here are some general signs of sleeping tablet addiction :

Common signs of addiction

  • Needing larger doses to fall asleep
  • Trying and failing to quit more than once
  • Ignoring social, professional and familial obligations
  • Seeming confused or frequently detached
Common sleeping pill withdrawal symptoms include:
  • Body spasms
  • Seizures
  • Insomnia
  • Delirium
  • Anxiety
  • Drug cravings
  • Irritability
  • Depression
  • Confusion
  • Hallucinations
  • Sweating
  • Increased heart rate
  • Hand tremors
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
If you have experienced issues with sleeping tablets please let me know in the comments section below  and I will publish them  to help other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment