Wednesday 9 December 2015

Affirmation exercise to help you improve your self esteem

I have been interested in personal development for many years, in fact, many of the principles and positive messages helped me cope with my life before I was diagnosed with Complex PTSD. The personal development gurus I listened to the most were Jim Rohn and Brian Tracy. They both provided a good foundation because Jim would provide the framework or philosophy and Brian gave you specific exercises to achieve a succesful transition to a better life.

One such exercise from Brian Tracy relates to the increase in self esteem. I had seen this exercise before my PTSD diagnosis and found it uncomfortable so I never did it. I now know how important feeling better about myself, reducing the inner critic and supporting myself is to my PTSD recovery so I will be incorporating it into my daily routine.


The key points of the video are :

  • The whole quality of your life is determined by how you feel about yourself on the inside
  • It's the emotional quality of your life which determines how happy you are and psychologists call this your level of Self Esteem or Self Value
  • The more you like yourself, the higher your self esteem
  • The more you like yourself the more you like other people
  • 95% of your emotions are determined by how you talk to yourself


The "I like myself" exercise :

  • When you get up in the morning say "I like myself" repeatedly 
  • Before an important meeting say  "I like myself" repeatedly 
  • When you suffer a disappointment, you can cancel it out by saying  "I like myself" repeatedly 


I hope you found this post helpful, if you try this please comment in the section below and share your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment