Wednesday 25 November 2015

PTSD triggers/symptoms and signs that you may have PTSD


Since a child I had always experienced  a continuous feeling of edginess and anxiety but it is only recently that I was diagnosed with Complex PTSD. This diagnosis had also made me realize the other fluctuating feelings I encounter on a daily basis are also part of the PTSD condition.

The feelings that would be triggered include one or more of the following :

  • Increased heart rate
  • Instant increase in body temperature
  • A tightening of the throat to the point of finding it difficult to speak
  • Light headedness
  • Instant tightness in the stomach followed by a feeling of nausea
  • The feeling of wanting to run away
  • Pressure behind the eyes and in the forehead
  • A general jolt in the body

So what triggers these sensations ?

  • People walking past my house
  • Raised voices in jest or anger
  • People clicking their fingers near me
  • People unexpectedly clapping near me .e.g to kill a fly
  • Volatile or aggressive people
  • Loud music coming on unexpectedly
  • Seeing a sick animal
  • Confrontation
  • Criticism
  • Embarrassment
  • Having tradesmen in the house
  • Ordering a meal over the telephone
  • Business meetings
  • Making mistakes in front of people
  • Social situations
  • Anything that makes me the centre of attention
  • Something breaking in the house that  I feel I can't fix
  • Cocky people
  • Sound of crowds e.g. football chants
  • Videos of violence
  • Hospitals and seeing sick or injured people
  • Fireworks

I understand that these triggers are specific to me based on my 'version' of developmental PTSD but maybe you can relate to some of them or experience the exact same reactions. If you have PTSD please share an outline of your experience in the comments section to help myself and other sufferers.

No comments:

Post a Comment